Boys & Girls Club of Erie County (BGCEC) is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment for our members. Through Boys & Girls Club of America’s Child & Club Safety Department, we implement a six-step plan that follows the best practices available today.
1) Criminal background checks – This is required for ALL staff and volunteers who are in direct contact with our Club members.
2) 24-hour toll-free Child Safety Hotline – This provides Club directors, staff, volunteers and members to confidentially report suspicions or concerns. For Club-related child safety issues, contact the Child Safety Hotline at 866-607-SAFE (7233) or email SafeClub@PraesidiumInc.com. For child safety concerns that are NOT related to a Boys & Girls Club, contact the Child Help National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).
3) Training - Ongoing training and supervision of staff are essential. Clubs participate in a variety of child safety training conducted through seminars, conferences and webinars.
4) Safety policies and procedures must adhere to the highest standards. Clubs are required to report ANY suspected child abuse to local authorities. No adult should ever be alone with a child – all activities inside and outside the Club must have appropriate ratios of staff and Club members.
5) ALL facilities and vehicles are required to comply with local, state and federal safety laws. Boys & Girls Club of America works with leading experts in security technology to develop state-of-the art solutions for our 4,000 sites.
6) Boys & Girls Club of Erie County works hard to create a Culture of Safety, which includes the following initiatives:
• National Child Safety Advisory Task Force
• National Peer Review Program
• National Safety Award Program
• National Child Safety and Protection Symposium